The following is a list of our recommendations for the reopening of yoga studios, based on the information presented by the government guidelines, sports bodies and World Health Organisation.
1. Distance mats 2 metres apart from one another to maximise safety. UK active has now stated 2 metres from the middle of the mat is legally acceptable, assuming everyone moves in a synchronised manner. You will be insured if you distance mats 2 metres form the middle of the mat.
2. If in England and using the 1m + rule, plastic screens or shields must be in place.
3. Use an online service to process bookings before class.
4. Reduce class sizes and allowing sufficient time between each class to avoid groups waiting outside during changeover.
5. Ask students to bring their own mats and equipment where possible.
6. Enhanced cleaning and providing hand sanitiser throughout venues.
7. Create a queue and walk-way system for people to enter, pass through and exit the venue with minimum social contact.
8. Ensure adequate ventilation before, during and after each class.
9. Customers and staff should be encouraged to shower and change at home wherever possible.
10. Clean and disinfect studio space between classes, and following a regular schedule.
11. The studio owner should take responsibility for actioning a thorough cleaning procedure and risk assessment for the studio space.
12. The teachers should have access to a COVID-19 risk assessment, which should include cleaning procedures and steps to protect students and staff. Teachers should accept and follow the risk assessment accordingly. In some instances where the individual is hiring the space, they may be required to create a separate risk assessment.